Mittwoch, 7. März 2012

Tower of Power - There's only so much oil in the ground



Artist ----  Tower of Power
Song   ----  There's only so much oil in the ground
Album  ----  Urban Renewal (1975)

Background: Tower of Power is a Soul-Funk-RnB band from Oakland, California, that has been performing for over 43 years now. It was founded by famous saxophonist Emilio Castillo and he still is band leader and 2nd tenor saxophonist today. The album Urban Renewal was also produced by him and released in 1975. This song was written in a time of oil panic, where the barrel price was risen up to over 40 USD. Nowadays it's about 100 USD.

Trivia: The Tower of Power horn section has gained renown as a separate entity and often played The Star-Spangled Banner at Bay Area championship playoff games.

My two cents: What can I say, there are millions of funk bands out there but here the band name is for what they stand: They have power! Man, they are soo supergroovy, I am stunned by just watching them play. This song is my favourite among a lot of ToP songs. Check it out, perfectly played, great Hammond sound and the brass section is killer! The professor at my Institute where I graduated is one of their biggest fans. But I got to know them through Swiss casting-show winner Stefanie Heinzmann, I saw her performing together with Tower of Power.

Cite: Something every little boy and girl should know since birth

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen