Mittwoch, 14. März 2012

Amy Winehouse & Paul Weller - I Heard It Through The Grapevine




Artist ----  Amy Winehouse & Paul Weller
Song   ----  I Heard It Through The Grapevine
Album  ----  Not released (Video was recorded in 2006)

Background: "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" is a landmark song in the history of the famous Motown label. Written by Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong in 1966, the single was first recorded by Smokey Robinson & the Miracles. It has since become a signature song for singer Marvin Gaye, who recorded it a few years later. Gaye's version is ranked No. 80 of Rolling Stone magazines 500 Greatest Songs of all time. The version of this video is a great cover by Amy Winehouse, who appeared during a live session of British guitarist Paul Weller. It was recorded on the Jools Holland show in 2006. 

Trivia: "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" by Marvin Gaye was the biggest hit single of all time on the Motown label until The Jackson 5's "I'll Be There" came out 20 months later.

My two cents: This is not my favourite version of the song. In my opinion, the best one is the 11-minute blowout version made by Creedence Clearwater Revival. But I couldn't find a proper YouTube video for it so here you get the (in my opinion) second best ;). Still a got one. There's already enough said about Amy Winehouse, I like it to listen to her but I don't like watching her singing. I haven't heard about Paul Weller before but he seems to be a pretty decent solo guitar player. What makes this version pertty good is the backing band, having a clean and still pretty original sound.

Cite: I bet you wonderin' how I knew, 'bout your plans to make me blue


Recommended by Maja :)

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen